Monday, April 13, 2015

Reflection of Gwendolyn Brooks' "We Real Cool". #3

This poem is a little strange, there is not much going on and it is really, really short; it's only 10 lines long, and the wording is very strange as well. I don't know what it is about this poem, even after all these weird things, I still kind of like it. Though it is only 10 lines, and it is very short, there is something about this poem that makes it so amusing to read and listen to.  I read it a few times to get a full grasp on the overall concept of the story that is behind the poem, and there was even an audio version of it attached to the link on the poetry foundation website. Listening to that person read it the way that the author had wanted it to be read added something completely different to my view of the story. At first I took it as some kid thinking that he was cool because he skipped school and was bragging about it,  from what I read in the beginning, but the ending didn't make sense to me. After listening to the audio version of it and having had it read to me, I now see it in a different way, possibly even the way the author had planned us to see it. I'm picturing and I person wasting their lives away in a bar, they're sitting there talking to another customer at said bar, and they are explaining what their life has been like, that's when they realize they haven't really done anything at all, they weren't really cool and their youth is over. Before listening to the audio version, I didn't understand why the "we" was at the end of the line instead of the beginning, but then I heard it and realized it was to make the narrator sound like they were racking their brain looking for something, anything they have done with their life, but they come up empty handed and realize that their life's almost over.

No comments:

Post a Comment