Thursday, April 16, 2015

Reflection of William Wordsworth's "The World Is Too Much With Us". #4

        To me, this poem is basically saying that us humans take advantage of this world that we live in, Earth. It is pretty much just saying that we like to lay claim to everything we see and like. I didn't catch any of this at first, but by the second time I read it I started to understand a little. The third line gives me the idea that the narrator is saying when we, humans, see something and we like it, we grab hold of it with an iron tight grip, lock our fingers, don't let go, and yell "DIBS": "Little we see in Nature that is ours”. In the line that says “Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea”, I was a little confused about what the word Proteus meant, so I looked it up on Google. The first answer I found was that proteus was “a bacterium found in the intestines of animals and in the soil”, but that didn’t make sense at all to me, I spent a good long while wondering why the sight of animal intestine bacterium rising up from the sea would be a good thing. It had to have had another meaning, so typed Proteus into dictionary.com and came up with Proteus being a classically mythical sea god who could change forms. This made much more sense and I got the feeling that the narrator of this poem wants the humans to lose control of the land they thing belongs to them, this narrator what’s nature, its creatures, and its gods to take back what it theirs; this narrator wants the Earth to stand up for itself and stop letting humans ruin it.

1 comment: