Monday, May 11, 2015

Reflection on Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I've never actually gotten through this entire movie before. I've only ever gotten to the part with the black knight in the forrest, and I didn't realize why until now. This film was so long, but the way the writers incorporated satire, humor, religion, history, and the original stories of King Arthur really brought out a whole new feel of the story as a whole. I used to watch this movie just for entertainment, but after taking this class I can see the different uses of many different literary techniques. The part in the beginning of the movie, when King Arthur as "galloping" through the lands with his assistant making the clopping sound of a horses hooves running and taking King Arthur to his destinations using two coconuts was hilarious, and when they had the people in the castle questioned how they found the coconut.  It's pretty funny because I'm fairly certain that back in the time that this film was based in, they wouldn't have known about the how the swallows wouldn't have been able to carry the coconut all the way from a tropical island to England because of the small wings and the amount a swallow has to flap it's wings to keep its own body up in the air, let alone carry the coconut. At the end of the film, when the cops came and took everyone, make me think that the entire thing was just a bunch of people reenacting a King Arthur story.  There are just a lot of things that make this movie a good one, but I feel that it is lost in the long length of it.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I love that about the cops. I mean, aren't cops just modern knights, in both positive and destructive ways?

    ReplyDelete